Summer is a season for long warm days and nights making memories with friends and families. However, with sky-high temperatures, water sports and more, make sure the memories you make are pleasant ones by keeping safety front and center. To help, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) offers the following insights:
Water safety.Drowning remains the leading cause of unintentional death among children ages 1-4 and the second leading cause among children ages 5-14. Drownings can be prevented by following some simple safety steps:
- Never leave a child unattended in a pool or spa, and keep them away from drains.
- Learn how to swim, and teach your child how to swim.
- Drain covers. Ensure any pool and spa you use has drain covers that comply with federal safety standards. Children can get entrapped by the suction in older, non-compliant drain covers.
- Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults
Turn up the grill safety measures.The National Fire Protection Association states that an average of 10,200 home fires per year involve grills, hibachis, or barbecues. Following a few safety measures can help reduce fire dangers while grilling:
- Safety check. Before lighting the grill, do a safety check. Visually inspect the hoses on a gas grill for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks.
- Clean the grease trap. Ensure that the grease trap is clean to reduce the risk of flare-ups and grease fires.
- Use grills outside only, in a well-ventilated area. Never use a grill indoors, or in a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, or under a surface that will burn.
- Never leave a grill unattended, and keep children away from the grill area.
- Grill brushes. Prevent stray wire grill brush strands from ending up in your food. Clean your grill with a ball of aluminum foil or nylon brushes, instead of wire grill brushes.
Gear up and ride safely.Each year, thousands of ATV, bicycle, e-scooter, and skateboard riders – young and old – die or experience life-altering injuries. CPSC recommends that all riders follow these safety guidelines every time they ride:
- Gear-up before riding. This means putting on a helmet meant for your activity. When bicycling, properly wear a helmet that complies with CPSC's federal safety standard for bicycle helmets. In addition to a helmet, wear elbow and knee pads while riding scooters and skateboards.
- See and be seen. Ride bicycles in the direction of traffic, obey traffic signs and signals, and stay alert.
- Wear additional safety gear when riding ATVs and ROVs, including a DOT-compliant helmet and other protective gear, such as eye protection, boots, gloves, long pants and long-sleeved shirts.
- Do not drive ATVs or ROVs on paved surfaces. Ride on designated trails and at a safe speed.
- Use age-appropriate vehicles. Riders younger than 16 should only drive age-appropriate, youth-model ATVs, never adult models or ROVs.
Also, beware of other dangers during summer activity.
- Hot playground equipment. Check for hot playground equipment surfaces before letting your children play.
- Mowing the lawn. When mowing the lawn, dress properly with substantial shoes, long pants and fitted clothes. Keep children away from the mowing area, and always be on the lookout for children who may have ventured into the mowing area.
- Beach umbrellas. Spike your beach umbrella pole into the sand, and firmly rock it back and forth until it's buried about 2 feet into the sand and is tilted into the wind to keep it from blowing away and injuring someone.
- Recalled products. Check SaferProducts.gov to see if any of the products you own have been recalled.
Author:Steve Gabay Phone: 305-542-5422 Dated: July 4th 2019 Views: 812 About Steve: Founder and Broker Of Record at Florida's Best Realty. Steve offers over 12 years of real estate exp...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Florida's Best Realty is a real estate service that specializes in residential and commercial sales and rentals throughout the South Florida region. Our agents are all licensed professionals who are experienced, stay current with local market conditions and have a breadth of knowledge of home and commercial availability for both ownership and leasing.
Our team members are all highly skilled, knowledgeable and state licensed realtors who will pay close attention to every detail, ensuring that your transaction is handled smoothly and with the utmost of professionalism. Thank You for allowing us the opportunity to work with you in finding a new home, whether you are looking for a rental, investment, or a permanent residence to call home, the team at Florida's Best Realty is here to assist you.
In Florida Realtors’ contracts, there are spaces for the escrow agen
"Matt has good knowledge of the rental market and is very professional. He spent time making sure that he got the best monthly rental price. He also made the process very easy for me since he did almost all of the work. His advice and suggestions in negotiating the contract were excellent. Very impressed with his execution"